What is The Roses Program?
Named after the residents of Walnut Valley’s most cherished garden, The Roses Program is a complete person approach to life enrichment that allows for each resident to navigate and guide their own journey. While most Assisted Living Communities create a one-sized fits all activity calendar, The Roses Program is
created by the residents, for the residents, and focuses on health, nutrition, fitness, cognitive stimulation, social engagement, cultural identity, creative expression, spiritual fulfillment, and relaxation.
Why did we create it?
We wanted to create a purposeful and realistic program that allows each resident to feel valued, successful, peaceful, cared for, and loved. The foundation of this program is an understanding that each resident is different and unique. They have different likes, dislikes, abilities, limitations, fears, and goals. Each person deserves a complete program that reflects these differences, not just a one size fits all schedule from 9 am – 5 pm. This program goes far beyond just activities and impacts everything from dining to personal care.
How do we make it successful?
- We take the time to learn about each resident’s past and present to create more purposeful programming. As our resident population changes, so does the programming, to reflect their likes, dislikes, and abilities.
- We give all staff members permission to make everyday activities meaningful and not just tasks that need to be checked off a list. We know our staff members, their interests, and personalities, and match them with residents accordingly. This allows them constant opportunities to adapt activities by taking advantage of their individual competencies. Everyone benefits and our team members feel a sense of pride in sharing their interests and talents.
- Our programs focus on continued learning and steer away from child-like programming often seen being offered to seniors.
- Exciting and inspired outings to local and well-known restaurants, museums, landmarks, and theaters.
- Intergeneration programming with local children and young adults.
- Ongoing educational courses offered to residents based on interests and specialties.
- Cultural, ethnic, and religious programming that reflects our resident’s spiritual and cultural needs.
- Weekly tech support and classes so each resident
can stay connected to friends and family.